Watch our screencast - SpecKing 101
Measure layers / groups / selection
Just select any layer in Photoshop and press the ‘Measure Sizes’ button.
- Please note that you can also select whether to measure width, height, or both!
- You can also control the position of the labels that SpecKing will create – either top, middle, or center for width and either left, center, or right for height.
- For an even faster and more automated workflow you can select multiple layers, layer groups and any combination, including text layers.
- Another option is to use the Photoshop selection tool, and this way easily measure any area even on JPGs, PNGs or any other kind of flat graphic file.
Measure margins / padding
Select any layer in Photoshop and press the ‘Measure Distances’ button. Distances will be measured from the canvas edges.
- Please note that you can also select whether to measure distance from top, left, bottom, right or any combination of them!
- Another option is to use the Photoshop selection tool, and this way easily measure all the layer’s distances from the selection area (great for determining margins between child-parent elements).
- For an even faster and more automated workflow you can select multiple layers, layer groups and any combination including text layers.
Measure type specifications
Select each text layer you wish to measure in your Photoshop file and just click the ‘Get Text Properties’ button.
- Please note that you can also select what specifications to measure – font-family, font-size, font-color, and line-height – sometimes it’s redundant to repeat the font-family name over and over when the design has only one or two fonts…
- If any of the selected layers are not text layers – SpecKing will skip them – so you can actually get all type properties of an entire document in one click!
Make custom labels and specify colors
Just input your text, and select any layer in Photoshop to align it to - a custom label will be generated on the fly. Same applies to color specs - just select a layer or selection area and press the 'Sample Color' button.
- Please note you can generate multiple labels/color specs at once by selecting multiple layers!
- All labels can be in three different sizes - small, medium and large.
- All colors can be specified in HEX, RGB or HSL.
Use the settings panel to specify color output format (HEX, RGB, HSL), label size (S, M, L), and whether your design scale is standard, retina, ldpi, mdpi, hdpi, xhdpi, or xxhdpi. Great for mobile app designers and developers.
How to install
To install it, just double click the “specKing.zxp” file and the Adobe Extension Manager will come up with instructions.
(Photoshop CC 2014 users please double click the “specKing_CC2014.zxp”).
Once the extension is installed, the panel can be opened from “Window” menu > “Extension” submenu > “SpecKing”
If for some reason you encounter problems (for example people that have more than one version of the Creative Suite installed), try to launch the Adobe Extension Manager from the Creative Suite version that matches your copy of Photoshop, and click “Install”. Then navigate to the plugin file.
Windows users might need to launch the Adobe Extension Manager as Administrator. To do this, right click on the Adobe Extension Manager icon and select “Run as administrator”.